Monday, January 11, 2010

the road to hay river.

you know Fats Domino? cool guy, got stuck on his roof in n'orleans during the katrina flood. but that's not why i'm thinking of him this morning, i was thinking of his song "walking to n'orleans" because the snow was so thick today that there is no way i could ride, and thus walked. as you may have guessed limbo is not a real place but more my fictional name for my town of hay river. here is the bridge over the west channel of the hay river as you can see it's a little snowy.


when i got to town it was definitely pretty.


all and all it was a pretty fun walk, took me about an hour and twenty minutes but it was pretty tough sledding.

i haven't done anything in the studio since new years... i really gotta shake this sinking feeling i have been getting recently... i figure the best way to do that is to pay more attention to my life and attempt to get a better feeling for how i perceive or choose to perceive my world, perhaps a slight shift will save me from the doldrums. it would be better if i was struck by lightening though... i really gotta hit the wheel though... these saturdays and sundays spent on the couch with a dualshock 3 in my hands are probably what make me feel like i wasted my weekend when i have to go to work on monday.... then i spend my day thinking about how i would rather be in the studio... but then i go home and sit on the couch, reading the news and scanning the blogs.

So here is my new idea, i'm gonna challenge myself to throw at least one pot a day for the next 3 weeks or so, to really challenge myself and explore. even if i don't have an idea of what to throw i'm gonna go for it anyway perhaps the lightening strike with a little active pursuit, not something i'm known for, i'm more a passive discoverer. i'll post my "piece of the day" on the old blog here and hopefully this will help me shake my funk. i've been reading some old manuals and hand books that were passed along to me, it's nice to do research with a unwieldily and heavy book again, bending corners to come back to, ramming in sketches and ideas, refreshing old techniques and hints, it definitely helps one be inspired. i often forget how varied and amazing the ceramic world is, it's good to get a kick in the teeth and be reminded of all the different things one can do. now if i would just do some! anyway, enough of me bitching about my crappy work ethics. hey it's monday! so here is a pic of ghost the cat in my Timbuk2 satchel, she crawled in after took out the groceries on friday. She (like me) hearts T2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop your opinion here! did i wuss out, man up or just eat shit in a generally horrific way?