Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Do potters dream of ceramic sleep?

man what a night... i came home last night and checked on the mugs i had thrown in the morning... the tops on two were close to being bone dry, hoping to save them i quickly wrapped them in plastic with a sponge inside... a trick that sometimes works. i slept kinda nervously, deadlines and potential loss of product do this to me, hopefully the kiln firing i have scheduled for tonight will put that at ease. dreams were strange though thought i saw ceramic sheep, or was it a moose? an omen? perhaps i am remembering the dreams of some other potter... anyway... this morning i checked on them and they seemed as though they were moist enough to lute handles, was i saved? did the gods of clay and kilns forgive me?

perhaps they did but my hands betrayed me... i fucked up my trimming and threw one into the splash pan, deforming and taking a big nick outta the lip rim. the other i went too deep while trimming and punched a hole in the bottom... i smashed them together in a display of my hulk like rage and power, shards of leather hard clay falling into the kitty litter bucket below, raining like the ceramic sheep of dreams or nativity scenes,(what you don't like throwing your nativity in the air?) needless to say i wasn't too happy with myself and after finishing the other four mugs i slunk off to the coffee shop for an americano to think about my failure, wallow in my shame and prepare a new battle plan... perhaps i can out flank with dragoons and then rush with light infantry...

see you later, space cowboy.

1 comment:

  1. did you wreck them all? or are we going to see something cool soon?

    ReplyDelete

drop your opinion here! did i wuss out, man up or just eat shit in a generally horrific way?